Thursday, September 9, 2010

Forty--Eight

What do you get with:
2 Huge Crockpot’s,
2 Boxes of Tomatoes,
10 Onions,
2 Bundles of Cilantro,
16 Green Peppers,
20 Jalapeños,
20 Anaheim Peppers,
20 Super Chili’s
2 Thirty Something’s,
and...Eight Hours?

48 Jars of SALSA!!!!

Every Labor Day weekend the task at hand is to create a year's supply of SALSA! This tradition began eight years ago! Every so often...I am even crazy enough to do it two or three times in the month of September, it just depends on my friend's stockpile.

The first ritual in the process it to clean my house and the jars before the chopping begins.

Then, I recruit help--CC of course--and the chopping begins. My job is to blanch the tomatoes and peel them, then run them through the food processor--if you ask me this is the less glamorous job--it takes the entire time. CC's big task is to chop the peppers--oh my--and the ever dreaded onions. Once everything is settled we wait for two hours...then the canning can begin. This project takes about eight hours from start to finish.


The benefits though...are worth every minute...in December we have the luxury of garden fresh salsa!
Loves and Hugs---Yep, just call me Betty...Betty Crocker!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment